If you love burning candles at home, it's common knowledge that paraffin wax alternatives like soy wax will burn cleaner and release fewer pollutants into the air. But when shopping for soy wax candles, buyer beware. If a candle is simply marked "soy wax" or "soy blend," there's no guarantee that it is 100 percent soy. In fact, only 51 percent of the candle needs to be soy wax to be called a soy candle. The other 49 percent can be any wax, including paraffin. Look for candles marked 100 percent soy wax to be absolutely sure.