Compact fluorescent lightbulbs contain a small amount of mercury, so if you accidentally drop one in your home, take these steps from the Environmental Protection Agency to protect yourself, your family and your pets. Start by having everyone leave the room. Turn off your central air/heating system and open a window to air out the room for 10 minutes. Do NOT vacuum -- vacuuming can spread mercury even further in the room. Use sticky tape to pick up fragments and powder, and use stiff paper to scoop up broken glass. Repeat until all traces of glass and powder are gone. Place everything in a glass jar or freezer bag, and then wipe all of the surfaces down with a damp rag. Finally, toss the remains in the trash, and replace your CFL bulb with a greener and cleaner LED one.