A wood-burning stove can be an efficient and affordable way to heat up a home, especially during cold winter days and nights. But just because something can be burned does not mean it is suitable to use in a wood-burning stove. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, you should never use household trash or recyclables like cardboard, magazines or waxy wrappers in the fireplace or stove. When burned, the inks, glues and other substances can release toxins and even damage your stove. The same goes for driftwood, plywood, particleboard or any pressure-treated wood, since they all could release toxins when burned. The rule of thumb is simple: Properly seasoned, split and dry firewood is the cleanest and most efficient wood to burn.