Buy a SMOKED TURKEY BREAST for an easy family meal and pair it with this SPINACH FETA RICE: In a large microwave-safe dish, combine 1 medium chopped onion, 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms and 2 cloves minced garlic. Microwave 7 minutes on high (100% power) or until onion is softened; drain. Combine mushroom mixture, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried), 1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach leaves (shredded), 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese and freshly ground pepper to taste with 3 cups hot cooked brown rice. Microwave 1 to 2 minutes on high until spinach is wilted; toss to mix and serve.
Add a RED-TIPPED LETTUCE SALAD and DINNER ROLLS. Make PEACH SHORTCAKE for dessert, using premade individual sponge cakes, vanilla ice cream and sliced fresh or frozen (thawed) peaches.
Save enough turkey and peaches and soak beans for Monday. Save enough ice cream for Saturday.
smoked turkey breast, onion, sliced fresh mushrooms, garlic, lemon, fresh or dried oregano, packaged baby spinach leaves, crumbled feta cheese, pepper, brown rice, red-tipped lettuce, dinner rolls, premade individual sponge cakes, vanilla ice cream, peaches.
Use some of the leftover turkey for SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY CHILI. Add a LETTUCE WEDGE and CORN TORTILLAS. Leftover PEACHES are your dessert.
Save enough chili for Tuesday.
dried black beans, canola oil, red bell pepper, fresh jalapeno peppers, celery, yellow onion, red onion, garlic, fresh or dried oregano, chili powder, ground coriander, cumin, coarse salt, canned unsalted chicken broth, fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn, mashed potato flakes (optional), reduced-fat sour cream, cilantro, lettuce, corn tortillas.
SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY CHILI
Servings: makes 10 cups
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: about 1 hour
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3 (14-ounce) cans unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) whole-kernel corn
- 2 cups diced smoked turkey
- 2 tablespoons mashed potato flakes (optional)
- Reduced-fat sour cream, fresh cilantro and red onions for garnish, if desired
Soak beans in water overnight and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium. Cook peppers, celery, onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Add the vegetable mixture to the black beans along with the oregano, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, broth, corn and turkey. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 45 minutes to an hour. For a thicker chili, add the optional dehydrated potatoes during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Garnish as desired and serve.
Per cup: 285 calories, 18 grams protein, 4 grams fat (13% calories from fat), 0.8 gram saturated fat, 44 grams carbohydrate, 22 milligrams cholesterol, 600 milligrams sodium, 7 grams fiber.
Tuesday: Heat and Eat
Enjoy the fruits of yesterday's labor and heat Monday's CHILI for dinner. Top it with a dollop of reduced-fat SOUR CREAM. Add a SPINACH SALAD and CORNBREAD (from mix). How about PLUMS for dessert?
reduced-fat sour cream, fresh spinach, cornbread mix, plums.
Delicious without meat, HUEVOS RANCHEROS is a meal you'll enjoy. Serve the spicy egg dish with vegetarian REFRIED BEANS and TOASTED WHOLE-WHEAT ENGLISH MUFFINS. Fresh PINEAPPLE is a light dessert.
flour tortillas, cooking spray, chili powder, canola oil, eggs, salsa, sliced pimento-stuffed green olives, ketchup, shredded Mexican-blend cheese, cilantro, vegetarian refried beans, whole-wheat English muffins, fresh pineapple.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: less than 20 minutes
- 4 (6- or 7-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 eggs
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Sprinkle chili powder over both sides; place on a baking sheet. Bake 4 minutes; turn. Continue baking 4 more minutes or until golden and crisp. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium. Cook eggs as desired. Transfer tortillas to serving plates; top with eggs. Keep warm in turned-off oven. In same skillet, add salsa, olives and ketchup. Cook and stir on medium-high until very hot. Spoon sauce over eggs; top with cheese and cilantro.
Per serving: 359 calories, 18 grams protein, 19 grams fat (48% calories from fat), 6.2 grams saturated fat, 28 grams carbohydrate, 385 milligrams cholesterol, 1,177 milligrams sodium, 2 grams fiber.
Make the kids happy with ITALIAN SAUCE OVER SPINACH SPAGHETTI for dinner: Cook 12 ounces spinach spaghetti as directed. In a large nonstick skillet, cook 1 medium chopped onion in 2 teaspoons olive oil for 5 minutes or until softened. Add 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes (with liquid) and 3 tablespoons fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried). Mix well and cook uncovered until the liquid is reduced by one-third, stirring occasionally. Spoon sauce over spaghetti and serve.
Add CARROT STICKS and GARLIC BREAD. Make BANANA PUDDING with 1% milk for dessert.
spinach spaghetti, onion, olive oil, canned Italian-style stewed tomatoes, fresh or dried basil, carrots, garlic bread, banana pudding mix, 1% milk.
Make your own SALAD PIZZA tonight: Toss a package of green salad with light Italian dressing and top a hot deli pizza with the salad. Cut into wedges and serve.
Deli BROWNIES are a delectable dessert.
Save enough brownies for Saturday.
packaged green salad, light Italian dressing, deli pizza, deli brownies.
Saturday: Easy Entertaining
Invite friends for Pan Roasted Cod. Serve the fish with SCALLOPED POTATOES and an ARUGULA SALAD tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice and garnished with pumpkin seeds and hard-boiled egg wedges. Add WHOLE-GRAIN ROLLS.
For dessert, CARAMEL SUNDAES are divine: Top leftover vanilla ice cream with crumbled leftover brownies and drizzle with caramel sauce.
skinless cod fillets, coarse salt, pepper, sugar, canola oil, red grapefruit, shallot, fresh basil, lemon, extra-virgin olive oil, scalloped potatoes, arugula, pumpkin seeds, eggs, whole-grain rolls, caramel sauce.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 7 to 10 minutes; standing time: 15 minutes
- For the cod:
- 4 (6- to 8-ounce) skinless cod fillets, 1 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- For the relish:
- 2 red grapefruit
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Additional salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Pat cod dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sprinkle sugar lightly over one side of each fillet. Heat oil in 12-inch oven-safe nonstick skillet on medium-high until just smoking. Lay fillets sugared side down in skillet; using spatula, lightly press fillets for 20 to 30 seconds to ensure even contact with skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until browned on first side. Using 2 spatulas, flip fillets; transfer skillet to oven. Roast 7 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes apart when gently prodded with paring knife and internal temperature is 135 degrees. Transfer cod to platter.
- Serve with Grapefruit-Basil Relish: Cut peel and pith from grapefruit. Cut each grapefruit into 8 wedges; slice crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Place grapefruit in strainer set over bowl; let drain 15 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon juice. Combine reserved juice, shallot, basil, lemon juice and olive oil. Stir in grapefruit and let stand 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Relish can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. (Adapted from "Foolproof Fish," American’s Test Kitchen.)
Per serving (cod only): 173 calories, 30 grams protein, 5 grams fat (25% calories from fat), 0.5 gram saturated fat, no carbohydrate, 73 milligrams cholesterol, 332 milligrams sodium, no fiber.
Carb count: 0.
Per serving (Grapefruit Basil Relish): 64 calories, 1 gram protein, 2 grams fat (30% calories from fat), 0.3 gram saturated fat, 11 grams carbohydrate, no cholesterol, 1 milligram sodium, 2 grams fiber.