DEAR ABBY: I read in a newspaper that a poll was taken in which 1,500 people were asked if they could quote the Ten Commandments. Only a few could come up with three, or four at the most. Many of those questioned said there was no way they could remember all of them.
Abby, will you please print the Ten Commandments? You may use my name. -- LINDEL SEXTON, OCEANSIDE, CALIF.
DEAR LINDEL: According to the Book of Exodus in the Old Testament, the Ten Commandments were given to the Israelite leader Moses on Mount Sinai. They are as follows:
1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord, thy God, in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor thy father and thy mother.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.