Join the debate. Vote Now on the Dear Abby Poll of the week.

by Abigail Van Buren

Couple Struggles to Cope With Children's Murder

DEAR ABBY: My fiance and I had a horrible loss this year, and we're having trouble dealing with and working through our grief. His ex-wife murdered three of his four children and committed suicide.

We are both young and have been trying to find organizations where we can communicate with other parents who have lost their children, but a lot of group members just seem to want to one-up how tragic their loss was. Do you have any suggestions for online or in-person groups for people with similar experiences? It's hard feeling so alone, and I'm sure there are other parents out there looking for this kind of information. -- ALONE AND GRIEVING

DEAR ALONE: I am sorry for the epic tragedy your fiance experienced, and with which you are both trying to cope. An organization that may be able to help you is The National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children (POMC). Founded in 1978, its mission is to provide support and guidance to all survivors of homicide victims, while working to create a world free of murder. It seeks to make a difference through ongoing emotional support, education, prevention, advocacy and awareness. To learn more, visit its website, which is, or call 888-818-7662 or 513-721-5683.

Read more in: Family & Parenting | Death | Marriage & Divorce