Affair That Led to a Long Marriage Remains a Secret

DEAR ABBY: We recently received an invitation to a party for our child's fifth-grade graduation class. The host is charging $15 per adult and $10 per fifth-grade child ("children under 5 are free"). The invitation also states that spaces are limited and we need to book our attendance with a payment method in advance.

My husband and I think this is very tacky. In addition to that, we find it poor form that this is being billed as the "party of the year" with "limited seating" for our child's class. What are we teaching our children these days? Is it a popularity contest? Is it that the kids from economically challenged homes are not welcome in our homes? What do you make of this? -- UNEASY IN MARYLAND

DEAR UNEASY: I think the amount is excessive. What I make of it is that the entire class is being invited to celebrate the occasion, but the parents who are organizing the event have decided to turn it into a profit-making venture. If this doesn't sit well with you, skip the party and plan to do something privately with your child.