Only Child Looks For Help To End Parents' Fighting

DEAR ABBY: I'm 13 and read your column every day. My parents fight a lot. When they fight, I try to get in between them and keep it down. It's not very effective, though. I don't want their fighting to leak out. Therapy doesn't seem possible.

Do you have some tips to keep them from fighting with each other? I'm an only child and don't have any relatives who live nearby. -- THE REFEREE

DEAR REFEREE: Parents fight for many reasons, none of them having to do with you. The problems could be lack of money, job stress or something in their relationship with each other that isn't working.

If it were possible for you to fix their marriage, I would advise you how to do it, but the only people who can do that are your parents themselves -- if they are willing. If their fighting escalates to violence, rather than put yourself in the middle, you should call the police.

Read more in: Family & Parenting | Marriage & Divorce | Teens