Business Owner Questions Cutting Landline

DEAR HARRIETTE: I have had a landline for my business for more than 20 years, but I hardly ever use it anymore. I have been looking for ways to cut costs, and I had the thought that I should just make my cellphone my primary number. Most of the calls that I get on voicemail are solicitors anyway, so I don’t think I will miss too much business. I’m a little nervous, though, since I have had my number for so long. I do use social media and have a website where I can list my cell number. What do you think? Is it time to go for it? -- Going Wireless

DEAR GOING WIRELESS: You would be surprised by how many businesses are letting go of their beloved landlines these days. Many businesses that do not have to have a physical presence are going mobile, and they’re getting rid of their brick-and-mortar establishments or landlines in the process. In some cases, you may be able to get your telephone carrier to allow you to turn your landline number into a cell number. In many cases, you cannot. But if you do enough promotion with your website and social media outlets with the new number -- especially since you say you get fewer calls to your landline these days -- you should be OK.

DEAR HARRIETTE: My husband passed away two years ago. I am still having a hard time getting over this loss. We used to do everything together, and I miss him so much. I still work and go through my life, but it is hard.

In the past few months, several elders in my community have died, and I have not been able to go to their funerals. It has been too emotional. As I was getting dressed to go to one of them, I started hyperventilating. It was awful. My family doesn’t understand. They think I am being selfish. I don’t think I am. I can’t deal with death right now. What can I say to my family to get them off my back? -- Grief-Stricken

DEAR GRIEF-STRICKEN: Grief does not have a timeline. Each person suffers loss differently. Many people who have suffered loss have a hard time going to funerals because these events trigger memories of their recently departed loved ones. It is OK for you to stay away from funerals for now.

What you might also consider is going to grief counseling. Getting professional support may help you to figure out how to release the profound sorrow that you are feeling. It doesn’t mean you will ever forget your husband -- nor should you. But you may learn coping skills that allow you space to find happiness and groundedness. When you feel solid, it will be easier for you to honor others who have passed by attending their homegoing celebrations.