Freelancer Questions Going Above Friend’s Head

DEAR HARRIETTE: I am a freelance contractor. Recently, a friend invited me to have lunch with her to talk about a project. I gave her a few of my ideas with the intention of getting her to hire me to work with her. That’s what she said to me, after all.

Now I realize that she has to get her boss to agree to anything that she does. I have met her boss before, and we got along fine, but that was years ago. I don’t know if her boss will want me or not. I am not a celebrity, but I do have a good networking list. Should I reach out to her boss to remind her of me, or just leave it to chance? -- Hiring Politics

DEAR HIRING POLITICS: You should not overstep your bounds with your friend to speak to her boss. That could easily backfire on you. Instead, make sure that your friend has all the information needed to present you as a perfect contractor for this project. If you have additional ideas that can fortify her presentation to her boss, both about you specifically and about the work at hand, follow up with a good-luck note along with a few additional ideas. But the ball is in your friend’s court now.

Hopefully she will be able to sell the idea with you in it satisfactorily to her boss. Do know that there is always a gamble when you release your creative ideas out to the world -- and that’s OK. Sometimes your generosity with your creativity brings you work, but that is not always the case. You still must keep on trying and trust that you have more creative ideas where the others came from. Good luck!

DEAR HARRIETTE: I have had false teeth for about a decade. The other day at work, my bridge broke in my hand. This has happened in the past, but I was always able to glue it back together. I have crazy glue, and it really works. This time, though, the teeth won’t stick together. I know this sounds nuts, but it’s how I can keep my teeth looking right. Now I have to go to the dentist, and I really can’t afford it. What should I do? -- Tooth Repair

DEAR TOOTH REPAIR: Call your dentist and explain your dilemma. Ask for a payment plan to fix your dentures. Be frank about your situation and honest about how much you can pay in order to fix your problem. I can’t imagine that it is smart for you to put crazy glue on your teeth and then put that in your mouth. Who knows what chemicals you are ingesting?

Figure out what you can cut back on in your life so that you can pay the fees for fixing your dentures. Look into teaching hospitals as an alternative source of medical help. Those programs often offer deep discounts for dental services because the students are learning.