A microwave oven is an energy-efficient way to quickly heat and cook foods at home. But did you know that, on average, a microwave is used only about 70 hours a year? That's about 1 percent of the year, with the other 99 percent of the time spent doing nothing. But when the microwave is not being used to heat food, it's still sucking power from the grid using "vampire power" to illuminate the display and keep it ready to go at the touch of button. It's like having a lamp on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you're not using the microwave, simply unplug it. You'll recoup savings and help extend the life of the appliance.