The fall months are the perfect time to get your home ready for the cold months ahead. Since the heating system for your home is the most vital and most used energy source during wintery days, clean or replace the filters in your furnace. If you have a gas heater, you can have it tested -- usually free of charge -- by your utility company or gas company for leaks that could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Since carbon monoxide is an odorless gas, having it professionally inspected can literally mean the difference between life and death. Just contact them now (when free inspections are more readily available) to set up your appointment.