Did you know the No. 1 most recycled item in America is the car battery? According to Waste Management, a car battery is 60 percent lead, which is entirely recyclable. The lead is recycled and used to make new car batteries. The other 40 percent is plastic and sulfuric acid, both of which can be reclaimed and made into new products. The reason a car battery is the most recycled item is that all automotive centers are proactive in recycling them when they are replaced. But if you decide to replace your own car battery, be sure to take your dead battery to any automotive center to be recycled. It's free and as simple as dropping it off.