Dust in your home is more than just unsightly -- it can also be toxic. According to the Environmental Working Group, products like furniture, electronics, shoes, plastics, fabrics and even food can shed chemicals, and many are flame retardants, or PBDEs. Even in minute doses, these chemicals have been found to affect a child's development, including impacting their reproductive systems and endangering their motor skills, learning, memory and hearing. When dust builds up around the house, PBDE-laden dust bunnies can get into kids' system easily. To remove toxic dust, use a vacuum with a HEPA filter, wipe surfaces with an absorbent microfiber towel and use good filters for your heating and cooling system.