DEAR ABBY: In 1982, I married the man of my dreams. In 1995, he had an affair with our son's fourth-grade teacher. In 1997, he moved our family 2,300 miles away from our relatives and friends. Early in 2001, he met a woman on the Internet and began an affair. Late in 2001, he walked out, abandoning his family physically and financially.
Abby, please answer these questions:
1. Do you think he will do the same to the woman he is with now?
2. Will he ever fully understand what he has done and what he has lost? (Our children are devastated.)
3. Do you think one day he will want to come home? (My friends think he will, but if he does, I wouldn't know what to do.)
Thanks for your advice. -- BETRAYED IN SALT LAKE CITY
2. Probably not, since he appears to be without a conscience.
3. Only if his other relationships don't work out.
If your (former) husband should return, my advice would be to maintain your emotional and financial independence, because he has proved three times that you cannot depend on him.