DEAR ABBY: Years ago you printed a list of tips for a happy marriage. I thought they were wonderful and had them framed. My husband and I recently retired to Florida, and somehow the list was lost during the move. Could you please run it again? -- NANCY IN ST. PETERSBURG, FLA.
DEAR NANCY: I'm pleased they meant so much to you. They certainly bear repeating, particularly on Valentine's Day, the day that celebrates love. Read on:
1. Look not for perfection in your mate. You will not find it, and it's just as well. Living with a saint could be very tiresome.
2. Let your love be stronger than your hate or anger.
3. Learn the wisdom of compromise, for it is better to bend a little than to break.
4. Believe the best rather than the worst. People have a way of living up or down to your opinion of them.
5. Remember that true friendship is the basis of any lasting relationship. The person you choose to marry is deserving of the courtesies and kindnesses you bestow upon your friends.
6. Practice forgiveness, for who among us hasn't needed to be forgiven?