DEAR ABBY: My husband and I went to Pennsylvania the last week of December and slept in a motel room that we noticed had an unpleasant odor. It was not from smoke. We had requested a smoke-free room and got one. However, I had an allergic reaction to something, and had a difficult night.
The next day I mentioned it to the maid, and she told me there had been a "cute little doggy" in the room the night before. I then told the manager about my allergy to dogs. She did not apologize. She said, "Well, we like our pets ..." Needless to say, we will never frequent that motel chain again.
My husband and I do not hate animals, Abby, but we don't want to eat or sleep with them. Maybe others feel as we do. We know that people who eat and sleep with their dogs would smuggle them into a motel any way they could. The few motels that enforce the "No Pets" rule should be commended.
Thanks for listening, and for printing this. -- ABBY FAN, FAYETTEVILLE, N.C.
DEAR FAN: Your mistake was in not mentioning the fact that you have an allergy to dogs when you requested the smoke-free room. Just as there are smoke-free rooms reserved for guests who suffer from a sensitivity to cigarette smoke, there should be rooms available upon request for those who have pet allergies. Try it next time you and your husband are traveling.