DEAR ABBY: I recently found my 6-month-old puppy prostrate, limp and glassy-eyed. She was barely able to lift her head and had difficulty breathing.
I rushed her to the vet, who treated her for shock due to multiple bee stings. She was so toxic, she developed severe hepa�titis. Had it not been for the expert care of the veterinarian, my puppy would have died.
She had been stung by a bee a month before, which sensitized her to bee stings. I later discovered that my next-door neighbor had been keeping beehives in her back yard! I had no idea how long, since she has a high fence.
This came as a surprise to her other neighbors, too, since according to our city's code, one must have the written permission of one's neighbors to keep bees in a residential area, and none of us had ever been asked. I informed the regulatory agency of my city government, and they promised to conduct an investigation.
Abby, I have no animosity against beekeepers, but they should respect the ordinances relating to keeping bees in a residential area.
I just spent $800 for dog care as the result of my neighbor's thoughtlessness. Abby, please remind your readers that animals can be just as allergic to insect stings as people -- with just as dire consequences. -- STUNG IN PHOENIX
DEAR STUNG: If it's any consolation, the honeybee stings only once and then it dies. I'm no lawyer, but I think you have a honey of a case against your bee-keeping neighbor.