Do you use a wooden block to house your kitchen knives? While it may be useful and decorative, it can also harbor a lot of unhealthy bacteria that can make you sick. If you do a haphazard job in washing your knives, any residual bacteria on the knives (especially if the blades are still a little wet) can be transferred to the wooden block. Over time, the bacteria can multiply and grow, transferring onto the blades and going into the food you're cutting up. The better choice is to invest in a magnetic strip, which allows knives to air dry completely.
ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION