Friend Takes Offense at Never Being Asked About Her Past

DEAR ABBY: My family is very close, and we see each other often. Lately I have been avoiding most of our family gatherings because of my brother-in-law "Jared."

At the most recent family occasion, he was staring, winking and flashing peace signs at me. This is not friendly banter; it is very creepy. My sister isn't aware of it, and I'm sure she wouldn't approve.

I have been married four times, and I'm currently single. If his behavior continues, which I'm sure it will since I am a very desirable woman, I will have to skip family events entirely. Any thoughts? -- HARD TO RESIST OUT WEST

DEAR HARD TO RESIST: Your letter is unique. I rarely hear from people with as "healthy" an ego as yours. Because you feel your brother-in-law is out of line, try this: Tell him to cut it out the next time he does it because it is making you uncomfortable. And if that doesn't do the trick, tell his wife.

Read more in: Family & Parenting