Man Keeps Family Estrangement A Mystery

DEAR ABBY: I've been seeing a man for 15 months. I know he has three sisters and a brother. All he has said is they are not close and he doesn't keep in touch with them. There are no cards at holiday time, no phone calls or any mention of any of them (there are nieces and nephews, too), and no explanation about why they don't talk.

Should I be concerned that he doesn't share any of this with me? He has been very involved with my entire family, but I have never met a single relative of his. -- KEPT IN THE DARK IN MASSACHUSETTS

DEAR KEPT IN THE DARK: After 15 months of dating, you should be able to discuss this with him and get some honest answers. There are probably good reasons why this man and his family are estranged. They may have been abusive to him, or he may be the black sheep of the family. But you will never know unless you ask directly.

Read more in: Love & Dating | Family & Parenting