Recent Grad Should Mention Pregnancy During Job Hunt

DEAR ABBY: I am a recent nursing school graduate. My husband and I have a 1-year-old, and I just found out I'm pregnant again.

I'd like to get a job as soon as I can. My question is, should I tell prospective employers I'm pregnant? I don't want to be passed over because of my "condition," but I also don't want to be hired and immediately inform them I'll need time off when the baby comes. Am I legally or ethically obligated to disclose that I'm pregnant at an interview? -- A NURSE IN MICHIGAN

DEAR NURSE: I think you have an ethical obligation to inform your prospective employer. However, you are not legally obligated to disclose that you are pregnant. If you were not hired because of your pregnancy, you might have a claim for discrimination. And the same is true if you were retaliated against for not volunteering the information.

Read more in: Work & School