Ask Someone Else's Mom by Susan Writer

Spring Break Dilemma for Coed

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: There’s a guy in my dorm who I like. He seems pretty sweet, but he hangs with a couple of wild guys who party way more than I like to.

I’m a junior and this is the first time I could actually get away on spring break, and this guy I’m crushing on has asked me if I want to go with him and his buds to Florida on break. I want to spend time with the guy but not his friends, who are trouble. How do I tell him it’s him, not his friends I want to hang out with? --- LIKE THE GUY, NOT HIS FRIENDS

DEAR LIKE THE GUY: Unless you have reason to believe the trip would be more about you and the guy having time together, rather than you just being part of a partying caravan, I’d say take a pass on this one. It will be too easy for your crush to get caught-up in the inevitable shenanigans and it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re normally into.

It’s not easy getting to know someone as part of a crowd. Instead, find another way to spend some one-to-one time with him, so you can figure if he’s right for you.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.