The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Sad Departures in Soap World

March was not a good month for former soap actors, starting off with the March 4 death of Luke Perry, who passed away at the age of 52 after suffering a massive stroke. Soap fans remember him well for his roles as Kenny on “Another World” and Ned on “Loving.” He rose to fame on prime-time TV for his role of Dylan McKay on “Beverly Hills, 90210” and most recently as Archie’s dad on “Riverdale.”

On March 9, we received word that beloved soap opera actor Jed Allan had passed away at the age of 84. Allan’s son Rick Brown shared the news of his father’s death on a fan page dedicated to Allan, stating: “So sorry to post the very sad news of my father’s passing tonight. He died peacefully and was surrounded by his family and loved so much by us and so many others.” Allan was probably best remembered for his daytime work from his role of Channing Creighton “C.C.” Capwell on “Santa Barbara.” However, his longest role was that of Don Craig on “Day of Our Lives” from 1971 to 1985. He also had a long run on “Beverly Hills, 90210,” and did a temporary turn on “General Hospital” in the role of Edward Quartermaine.” Allan’s final role was that of Harold Johnson on the Emmy-winning online digital soap “The Bay.”

SHORT TAKES:

Hayley Erin, who joined “General Hospital” in 2015 as Kiki Jerome, only to see her character murdered by serial killer Ryan (Jon Lindstrom), will debut in her prime-time role on the “Pretty Little Liars” spin-off series, “Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists,” next week. The series premieres March 20 at 8 p.m. on Disney’s Freeform channel. It also stars Kelly Rutherford, who has appeared in many prime-time series as well as the soap “Generations.”

Alice Hunter, who began playing the role of Kerry on “The Young and the Restless” last October, has announced on social media that she will soon be taking an indefinite hiatus from the show. There was no explanation for her exit.

Brytni Sarpy debuts on “The Young and the Restless,” as Elena Dawson on March 19. The actress played Valery Spencer on “General Hospital.”

“The Bold and the Beautiful” has cast Matthew Atkinson in the contract role of Thomas Forrester, who is the son of Ridge (Thorsten Kaye) and Taylor (Hunter Tylo). Atkinson (ex-Austin, “The Young and the Restless”) will debut on March 15. Meanwhile, Henry Joseph Samiri has been cast as Thomas’ slightly aged son, Douglas, and also makes his debut on March 15.

The role of Thomas Forrester on “The Bold and the Beautiful” was played from 2015-2017 by Pierson Fode, who has been cast in the pilot for the new CW series “Glamorous.” On social media, Fode stated: “The secret is out! I couldn’t be more happy to finally announce what I’m working on.” Fode plays Chad, a gay man, described as “an ambitious alpha male who works at the cosmetics company his mother founded."

581-7500

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow