The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Tristan Lake Leabu, who plays Victoria and J.T.’s son, Reed, on “The Young and the Restless,” is used to answering questions about his unusual name.

“My dad was reading 'Tristan and Isolde' at the time my mom found out she was pregnant with me,” says Leabu, explaining where his first name came from.

As for his middle name, Leabu notes that his mother is from Lubbock, Texas, a city with a lot of lakes around it. “That’s where she got the idea for my middle name,” notes Leabu.

Aside from bestowing him with an unusual name, Leabu’s parents also instilled a true love for the arts in him. His dad, Jeff, is a guitarist, singer and an artist, while his mom, Jennifer, sings, plays the piano and once had an acting career. Meanwhile, Leabu plays the guitar, mandolin, harmonica, piano and drums.

“(My dad) taught me how to play chords on the guitar,” recounts Leabu, adding that he also gave him an appreciation for ’60s and ’70s rock and roll, blues, folk and jazz. Meanwhile, Leabu’s mom is responsible for piquing his interest in acting, which began when she would go out on auditions and take her young son along with her.

“When I was 5 years old, I asked her if I could get my own auditions,” he says. “It all started rolling from there.”

SHORT TAKES:

“Days of Our Lives,” which debuted on Nov. 8, 1965, has been renewed for another year by NBC and Sony for its 54th season. The show was created by Ted and Betty Corday. In a statement given to Deadline, NBC executive vice president Bruce Evans said: “We’re very excited about having more great 'Days' in Salem. Executive producer Ken Corday and his team continue to tell stories with which the 'Days' loyal audience feels a deep connection. We congratulate them on their remarkable daytime legacy and look forward to what they have planned for the new season.”

Ted Corday (son of Ted and Betty Corday) took to social media, stating: ”We’re thrilled that the sands will continue flowing through the hourglass for yet another year. We are most grateful to NBC and Sony for their continued support of Days of our Lives. Buckle up, because we have some exciting and compelling new stories coming to Salem this season.”

Credited for the improved ratings of “Days” is head writer Ron Carlivati, who took to Twitter, quipping: “So does this mean I have to keep writing?” Earlier this year, Carlivati promised “Days” viewers would be in for a wild ride storyline-wise.

“Days” producer Greg Meng also took to Twitter, stating: “We’re doing somersaults in Salem. It’s a great day thanks to #NBC and #”Sony ... and our fans.”

Ramping up storylines for its 45th anniversary, “The Young and the Restless” is bringing back Kyle Abbott, the son of Jack Abbott (Peter Bergman) and Diane Jenkins (last played by Maura West from 2010-11). Taking over the role is daytime newcomer Michael Mealor, who will debut during the show’s anniversary celebration the week of March 26. Mealor has appeared on prime time in “Roadies,” “Fall Into Me,” “Supergirl” and "Chasing Life.”

581-7500

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow