The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Before she signed on to portray the conniving Nelle on "General Hospital," Chloe Lanier was cast as young Patricia Spencer, Luke and Bobbie's older sister. She appeared in the show's special 52nd anniversary episode last year.

"It was very secretive," says Lanier, remembering her first audition for the soap. "(Casting director) Mark Teschner had the part marked down as "girl No. 2." I was thinking I'm not even going to go in for it. I thought, 'Am I just standing in the background?'"

But after reading the character description and "sides" for her scene, she had a change of heart. Plus, someone close to her convinced her to give it a go.

"My boyfriend was like, 'Go in for this role, I think this is going to be a good thing for you,'" recounts Lanier.

It turns out he was right. The actress, who has a Twitter account, received some 100 new notifications after the episode aired.

"I was like, 'What the hell is going on?'" laughs Lanier. "I saw that people were really responding to the character of young Patricia. I thought it was very sweet. I was humbled that they had responded to the character and to the episode."

Fans weren't the only ones impressed with Lanier's appearance. Obviously, the show's executives were, too, because they brought her back to play Nelle, a seemingly sweet character with a dark side and a vendetta against Carly.

"They told me (the backstory)," admits Lanier. "So I know exactly what is going on, which makes it 10 times more fun."

SHORT TAKES:

Cast changes on "Days of Our Lives" include the exit of Vivian Jovanni, who has been playing the role of Hope (Kristian Alfonso) and Bo's (Peter Reckell) daughter Ciara Brady since October 2015. The actress has decided to pursue other career interests. At this time, it is not known whether the role of Ciara will be recast.

The second exit from "Days" is that of Paige Searcy, who announced quite some time ago that she planned to leave her role of Jade Michaels. The part has been recast with daytime newcomer Gabrielle Haugh, who appeared in the 2016 Lifetime television movie "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?" Haugh will begin appearing on Jan. 17.

Two familiar faces will be returning to "Days" this week: Charles Shaughnessy in his longtime role of Shane Donovan on Dec. 26, and Real Andrews, who plays Jade's (Paige Searcy) father, Hal, on Dec. 28.

Kimberly McCullough, who will soon bring her character Robin back to Port Charles on "General Hospital" for Maxie's (Kirsten Storms) bridal party, recently shared some personal news with fans on her blog, stating that she is pregnant. Also expecting a visit from the stork is Emme Rylan (Lulu Spencer) and her partner, Don Money. Rylan's sons Jackson (7) and Levi (5) were thrilled to learn they will be big brothers in June 2017.

Ryan Carnes returns to the "General Hospital" canvas as Lucas Jones beginning Dec. 27. The character was last seen several months ago, after Lucas married Brad (Parry Shen). Lucas' return could have something to do with Maxie's (Kirsten Storms) wedding.

On Dec. 30, "The Young and the Restless" will re-broadcast Victor (Eric Braeden) and Nikki's (Melody Thomas Scott) 1984 wedding.

581-7500

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow