Asthmatic Woman Questions Who To Believe

DEAR HARRIETTE: I hate the back-and-forth in the media between the liberal press and the conservative press. I decided to watch both to try to figure out my view on things, but now I am even more confused. Both sides make really strong arguments, even about going outside now that the government is slowly letting up on restrictions.

I can’t decide if I am afraid or ready to throw caution to the wind. I am an asthmatic, but it is controlled. My friends are saying I don’t need to wear a mask since the president doesn’t wear one. They say the people who are wearing masks everywhere are just overdoing it. I’m not sure what to do. I don’t want to be scared all the time. I am a woman of faith. I’m wondering if I am not calling on my faith enough since I am worried about how to go back out into the world. What should I do? -- Unclear

DEAR UNCLEAR: Politics aside, you should listen to the advice from your own doctor and from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Starting with your doctor, schedule a telehealth call where you talk about the state of your health and all of your concerns. Ask about what your doctor recommends to protect you as you go out into the public.

The CDC currently recommends covering your face whenever you go outside and even when you are inside if you suspect that someone in your home may be ill. Doing that is not being overly cautious. It is being smart. The guidelines suggest that you should also continue to stay at least 6 feet away from others, even close friends. Allow your faith to lead you to the scientific facts that can help to save your life. Don’t get swayed by the news of either political party. For more information visit: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Read more in: Covid 19

DEAR HARRIETTE: I just got a contract for a project that should last until the end of the year. I am so excited and relieved. I have worked primarily as what is now called a “gig worker.” With the shutdown, my work basically disappeared. While this job doesn’t pay much, it’s way better than scrambling for unemployment, and I get a paycheck every two weeks. When I talked to my husband about it, all he could do is say how I should be making more money for what I am doing for these people. We are struggling, and this job is putting food on our table. Why can’t he be happy for me and for our family? What can I say to him to get him to see the big picture? I should add that he is lucky. He has the same job that he’s had for 20 years, and so far nobody is getting laid off. We are lucky for that, too. -- Need More Support

DEAR NEED MORE SUPPORT: Remind your husband how fortunate you are to have his consistent job -- and how grateful you are for the project you just got. Acknowledge that more money might be nice, but what you are bringing home is consistent and helpful to your family’s bottom line. Tell him you need him to have your back and to stop complaining. Point out all of the blessings in your life, and name this job as one of them.

Read more in: Marriage & Divorce | Work & School