Symptoms Suggest It's Time To Get Tested

DEAR HARRIETTE: I have not been feeling well for the past few days, and it has got me scared. What with the COVID-19 virus being everywhere, I wonder if I have it. My stomach has been sick. I can't seem to hold food down, but I am still doing my job and taking care of my family. On the news, they say just to stay home if you don't feel well unless you have a high fever. I don't have a fever at all, but I feel like hell. I am worried that if I am sick I will infect my family. Staying home does not seem like the best idea, to be honest. But I don't know where I can get a test or anything. What should I do? -- Need Testing

DEAR NEED TESTING: The Centers for Disease Control has said that diarrhea can be an early sign of this disease. For this reason, you should be able to get tested. Call your doctor and describe your symptoms and your concerns. Describe your household as well and the proximity of family members to you. Ask your doctor to provide you with the paperwork you may need to get tested along with a recommended location to have it done. At this point, testing is supposed to be available for anyone who may be symptomatic.

If you do not get support from your doctor, consider a walk-in medical facility. Your last resort should be the emergency room if you can avoid it, simply because they still are fairly stretched -- and hospitals do have the virus within their walls.

DEAR HARRIETTE: I am feeling unmotivated. I lost my job two months ago. I am getting unemployment, thank God. But no matter how hard I look or how many resumes I send out, I have not gotten a single response back. It feels like the whole world is frozen. I do know that millions of people have lost their jobs, including me, but I don't think I should wait around until things get better to look. I'm worried that if I wait too long, there will be nothing, even though it seems like there's nothing now. How can I get my spirits back up so that I can put better effort into my search? -- Job Hunt

DEAR JOB HUNT: Stay focused on your pursuit of work. I think it's important to continue to look as vigorously as you can in a virtual and safe manner. Think about the broadest range of jobs that you can do efficiently. You may want to develop more than one resume so that you can focus each one on particular skills for specific jobs.

Most important, think about who can stand as a reference for you. This should be someone who can speak to your character, your personality, your workstyle -- you. It's best to think of a few different people who represent different parts of your life and who can honestly say positive things about you. Be sure to ask them if they would be willing to speak up on your behalf. Their declarations about you may help to seal the deal.