Aspiring Blogger Debates Rejecting Job Offer

DEAR HARRIETTE: I just got a job offer in a field that I don’t love, but it will pay the bills. I have worked in this field already, so I have some experience. It’s not a bad job, but it isn’t my passion.

Part of me wants to reject the job offer and instead just work on the blog I have been building. I have been getting traction, and I’m earning a little bit of money from ad revenue. But I have rent to pay, and I am worried about having enough money. I want to work on my blog or enter a totally different field. Should I accept a well-paying job, even if it is not my dream? Or should I focus on my blog exclusively and see if I can monetize it enough to be able to afford my life? -- How to Work

DEAR HOW TO WORK: I’m old-school on this one: I recommend that you take the job and keep your focus. Do your best at your job, and devote ALL of your free time to developing your blog. Be super organized so that you make every moment count. Map out your schedule so that you dedicate a minimum of one hour each day to your blog. Figure out as many ways as you can to monetize it. Give yourself benchmarks to check in on your progress.

Meanwhile, be laser sharp while on your day job. Learn all that you can and stay focused on your work when you are there. Avoid talking about your extra-curricular interests.

And if you have another field of interest in mind, search online and talk to friends to learn about job opportunities in that area. Doing this when you have a job will help you to pay bills. It will likely make you more marketable. It is easier to be hired for a job when you already have one.

DEAR HARRIETTE: Spring is here, and I’m trying to get rid of the clutter in my house. I have so much extra stuff that it’s not even funny. I try to unload things, but it never quite works. I recently watched the Marie Kondo show on Netflix. She was showing families how to tidy up their homes. It looked like her process might work, but how am I going to get on her show? What can I do on my own to get the clutter out of my house? -- Clutter-Free

DEAR CLUTTER-FREE: You do not need to get on Marie Kondo’s show in order to reduce clutter in your home. Consider following her process, which you can also find in her book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing." But this is only one avenue. You can get help locally through ClutterersAnonymous.org, or even ask friends who are good at organizing to come over one day and help you clean out -- if you feel that you are able to let go enough to allow them in.