Reader Refuses to Let Neighbor Visit Messy House

DEAR HARRIETTE: Let me start by saying my house is a mess. I know I need help, because no matter how much time I spend “cleaning up,” it is still in total disarray.

A couple of days after Christmas, my next-door neighbor rang my bell. I don’t usually answer the doorbell, because I don’t want to invite anybody in, but this time I answered. It was my neighbor and her baby coming to pay a visit. I was happy to see them, but I was not about to let them in, so I stood in the doorway and visited with them there. AWKWARD! I said I would stop by another day to talk to them. I feel like a jerk, but I know it was the right decision. My house is no place for a baby. What can I say to my neighbor so that she won’t feel like I was rejecting her personally? -- Climbing Out of a Mess

DEAR CLIMBING OUT OF A MESS: The first step toward handling a difficult situation is talking about it, and realizing that you are aware of the problem and are willing and ready to deal with it. Knock on your neighbor’s door one day and ask to talk. Tell her the truth: Your home is a mess. You aren’t proud of it, but it’s true. When she came over the other day, you couldn’t let her in. It is not tidy enough for a baby. Admit how humiliating it is to have to tell her this. Explain that you mentioned it because you don’t want her to think that you were rejecting her when you didn’t let her in.

Your next step is to get some help to clean your house. Find a home organizer or even a hoarding specialist. Look for one in your hometown. If this problem has been persistent, you may want to see a counselor. Hoarding is considered a mental illness. For more on how to help yourself to stop hoarding, visit helpforhoarders.co.uk/self-help.

Recent on uexpress