Subscriber Troubled by Missing Newspaper

DEAR HARRIETTE: Somebody in my building is stealing my newspaper. Yes, I’m one of the few people who still like to get the paper delivered on the weekend. To be fair, I have been traveling a bit, so I haven’t been home on certain weekends. When I have returned, the paper has never been there.

But this weekend I was home. I got up early in the morning to go downstairs to get my paper -- because the paper is not delivered to my door, but to the lobby -- and it wasn’t there. Somebody is getting up early to steal my paper. I don’t want to give up on this one indulgence I have left, but I also don’t want to pay for something I don’t get. What can I do? -- Paper Hawker, Brooklyn, New York

DEAR PAPER HAWKER: Because your paper is delivered to a common area, it may be difficult for you to figure out who the thief is. You can ask other neighbors who subscribe to newspapers if they have had any interruptions in their delivery. Ask them also to keep an eye open for your paper, as it has been missing of late. Consider stopping delivery for a while. Perhaps whoever is stealing will lose interest.

Kids' Keepsakes Create Clutter

DEAR HARRIETTE: My twin sons are now 10 years old. I have every drawing and sculpture they have created since they were born. My house is overflowing with this stuff. Meanwhile, they are on to Legos and electronic toys.

I need to get rid of some of their old projects, but I feel guilty. They don’t seem to be attached to much of it, but I think about when they get older. I bet I will want to pull out some of these projects to show them. I can’t figure out what to do. What do you recommend? -- Memorabilia, Jackson, Mississippi

DEAR MEMORABILIA: Make technology your new best friend! Take digital photos of your children’s artifacts and store them in a folder that is appropriately titled. When something is very special, invite your boys to tell you a story about the item. Videotape the story as they show the item, and store that away.

For artwork or sculpture that seems particularly impressive, keep those precious items and make them display pieces for your home. Or you can even pack those away in a specially marked box to pull out and “embarrass” your sons when they are adults.

Because you can create a digital record of their journey as children, you will not be throwing away the memories, but instead keepsaking them in a way that is manageable for your physical environment and respectful to the journey you have taken together. It’s a win-win!

Read more in: Family & Parenting