Reader Makes Up Mind About Makeup

DEAR HARRIETTE: I hate the feeling of wearing makeup. I find it clogs my pores and makes me look unnatural. I work in a traditional 9-to-5 office setting where a tidy appearance is strongly preferred, if not mandatory. Is there any way I could go au natural? Many makeups have harsh chemicals in them, which can damage your skin. -- Barefaced, Portland, Oregon

DEAR BAREFACED: It is entirely possible to go without a full face of makeup and still be polished in your look. Since makeup clogs your pores, skip foundation entirely. You can use rice blotting paper, available in drug stores as well as beauty supply stores nationwide. This soaks up the oil on your skin, leaving your face with a matte look, one aspect of what powder does. You can consider a light dusting of translucent powder -- with no color. This adds a very light layer of smoothing to your skin, which can make you feel more dressed up. If you choose to add anything else, consider lip gloss. It can have a slight stain of color, or be clear. A bit of shine on your lips also brightens your face.

DEAR HARRIETTE: I woke up to a text message from my stepfather to all of my siblings about going to Scotland with him. My job is strenuous and I do not have many vacation days, and I would rather use them in a different way. How can I reject his generous offer to pay for a vacation for me? I know how kind this offer is; I just know I would not enjoy myself in the slightest on his strict schedule of “family bonding.” -- No Go, Dallas

DEAR NO GO: Can I play devil’s advocate here for a moment? While you currently don’t like the idea of this vacation, I wonder if you would reconsider it. This may be the only time that your entire family will travel together again. It is not easy to coordinate such a large group. Consider creating guidelines for yourself that include time alone. You can discuss all of this with your stepfather so that he understands your apprehension.

More, when on the trip, you can be clear that a part of each day you need to spend by yourself. Even if some family members do not like that, you can graciously stand your ground.

That said, if you are intent on not going, thank your stepfather for his idea and for his generous offer. Tell him that you are so sorry, but you cannot join. Leave out that you do not want to attend. There’s no reason to hurt his feelings. Clearly, he is trying to connect with all of you. Just say it’s not possible for you to join the family, and you wish them the best trip possible.