Introverted Daughter Is Unwelcome on Couple's Weekend Getaways

DEAR ABBY: I am 55 and recently started dating "Paul," a 54-year-old man. His 26-year-old daughter, "Andrea," lives with him. My problem is, she invites herself along on our weekend getaways, small trips, etc. He tells me he knows it's a problem. Andrea is a college graduate working for her dad's company, but she has no outside interests, no social skills and she's afraid to talk to people one-on-one. She also doesn't care about her appearance.

Paul doesn't know what to do. His daughter doesn't want to live with her mom, and he's trying to get her acclimated to being her own person and independent. I suggested a life coach. He knows he enables her to a certain extent. Other than this issue, our relationship is wonderful. Please help. -- THREE'S A CROWD IN THE MIDWEST

DEAR THREE'S A CROWD: It should be obvious that Paul's attempts to help his daughter not only haven't worked, but may have contributed to her problem. She needs professional help for her severe social anxiety. Start with her physician. Her doctor or insurance company can refer her to someone qualified. Her father should insist upon this, rather than continue to enable her.

Read more in: Family & Parenting | Love & Dating | Mental Health | Self Worth