Join the debate. Vote Now on the Dear Abby Poll of the week.

by Abigail Van Buren

Friend Looks for Way to Comfort Friend in Crisis

DEAR ABBY: I have a childhood friend who is seriously depressed. She sees a medical professional once a month for drugs, but doesn't get counseling.

She lives alone and is going through a contentious divorce. She has pretty much alienated her friends and family because she can't converse without crying and blaming everyone else for her problems.

Do you have any advice on how I might help someone who doesn't seem able to help herself? I'm at a loss and feel so sad for her. -- SYMPATHETIC IN SOUTH CAROLINA

DEAR SYMPATHETIC: This woman is fortunate to have such a caring friend as you. Suggest to her that she inform the doctor who is prescribing her medication that she needs more help than she is currently receiving. And if she isn't already aware of it, point out to her that she should go online and explore support programs or groups for divorced people.

Read more in: Mental Health | Friends & Neighbors | Marriage & Divorce