Join the debate. Vote Now on the Dear Abby Poll of the week.

by Abigail Van Buren

Grandma Wants to Help Fund Girl's College Education

DEAR ABBY: I am considering putting aside some money for my granddaughter's college education while I am able to do so. Do I need to see a lawyer for this? I just want a simple solution and need to know the best way to do it. She is 12 and wants to go to college someday. Is setting up a private bank account just for her a good idea? I really need some help in doing it the right way. -- SUPPORTIVE GRANDMA IN ARIZONA

DEAR GRANDMA: This is a question you should direct to your financial adviser or the manager of your bank. Setting up an education savings account is an excellent idea, and you are a generous and loving grandparent to want to do it.

Read more in: Money | Family & Parenting