Man Is Perfectly Happy Being By Himself

DEAR ABBY: I am a 46-year-old, single gay man. Although I've had a few crushes, I have never been deeply in love. I don't like going out to the bars and, because my town is extremely Catholic, there are only a couple of gay-friendly ones.

Is it OK to not be actively looking for love? Everyone I know keeps asking me if I have found someone, and I keep telling them I don't believe in love. I'm content. I don't do anything but work, so I always say I never have time.

Is there something wrong with being single all your life and not having a significant other? I have my cat to love, as well as my sisters. Does a person have to be with someone if they are content being alone? Yes, I would like to go out, but why does it have to be with a partner? -- CONTENT LONER IN MONTANA

DEAR LONER: If you are comfortable flying solo, it is perfectly acceptable to live your life that way. The people who are telling you otherwise may mean well, but you do not have to take it to heart. Live your life the way you want, do not second guess yourself and don't allow yourself to be pressured. If you are content, you are doing fine.

Read more in: Love & Dating | Sex & Gender