Girl Can't Move On After Sexual Assault Four Years Ago

DEAR ABBY: I am a 16-year-old girl who has been having a hard time moving on since I was sexually assaulted. Although it was four years ago, it has conflicted with my current and past relationships because I tell guys I'm not ready for anything like that yet. They know what happened and keep trying to push me to move on from my fear. Please tell me what to do. -- NOT READY IN IDAHO

DEAR NOT READY: You are smart not to have allowed yourself to be "persuaded" into doing anything you don't feel ready for. I'm sorry you didn't mention whether you received counseling after the assault. If you didn't, you would benefit from discussing what happened to you with someone trained to help victims of the kind of trauma you have experienced. R.A.I.N.N. (the Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) can help you to locate a rape treatment center in your area. Either call (800) 656-4673 or go to rainn.org and they will give you the information you need. Please don't put it off.

Read more in: Teens | Mental Health | Love & Dating