Passenger Is Miffed When Seatmate Interrupts His Snoring

DEAR ABBY: I admit I'm a loud snorer. However, I was on a plane recently, flying home after an exhausting trip. I fell asleep and my seatmate repeatedly woke me to complain about my snoring. Shouldn't the woman have let me sleep in peace if she saw that I was genuinely tired? What made her needs greater than mine? -- TRYING TO SLEEP

DEAR TRYING TO SLEEP: Not knowing the woman, it's hard to say. Perhaps your seatmate felt entitled to a quiet flight and your snoring was so disruptive that, even with earphones, she could concentrate on nothing else. I suppose she could have asked the flight attendant to change her seat, but if the flight was fully booked she probably woke you because she wasn't inclined to suffer from coast to coast.

P.S. I would be remiss in my responsibility as an advice columnist if I didn't urge you to discuss your snoring with your doctor. It could be a symptom of sleep apnea, a condition that is very serious.

Read more in: Etiquette & Ethics | Health & Safety