Join the debate. Vote Now on the Dear Abby Poll of the week.

by Abigail Van Buren

New Approach May Be Needed After Years of Ineffective Therapy

DEAR ABBY: I've gone to licensed mental health professionals on and off since I was 7. Talk therapy has been ineffective. What do you do when talking to a licensed therapist doesn't work? -- WANTS TO KNOW IN NEW MEXICO

DEAR WANTS: Sometimes a combination of talk therapy and medication can be more helpful than talk therapy alone. Because the many years of talk therapy alone haven't been effective, consult a psychologist who works with a psychiatrist, who can prescribe medications that may help you.

Read more in: Mental Health