Youngest Sibling Gets No Respect

DEAR ABBY: I am the youngest of four children. Every Sunday, our family gets together for Sunday dinner, a tradition I have loved since I was a kid, although lately, I have grown less fond of Sundays. Here is why: I am now 30 and the tallest sibling in my family, yet I am made to feel as though I am the smallest.

No one listens to me; no one asks my advice. I could be at the table with my finger up my nose and I don't think anyone would even notice. I say things and no one acknowledges me. Sometimes I feel as though I don't even exist. It's as if because I'm the youngest, I have no importance. What can I do to change this? -- PATIENCE RUNNING THIN

DEAR PATIENCE: Allow me to suggest that at the next Sunday dinner you speak up loud and clear and say exactly that. And if nothing changes, make other plans for Sunday.

Read more in: Family & Parenting