Friend Is Caught in the Middle of Sibling Squabble

DEAR ABBY: We rented a house for my companion's sibling reunion. During a conversation over breakfast, one sister became extremely upset with another sister for inserting herself into the conversation. I tried to make light of the situation and remarked to the offended sister that in a social gathering at a table, conversations are not private, but open and shared with others. She disagreed and insisted I was wrong. Have I been rude all of my life? Please settle this for us. -- CURIOUS IN NEW JERSEY

DEAR CURIOUS: You have not been rude all your life. However, in this case you were foolish to put yourself in the middle of a sibling conflict -- one that has probably been going on since the sisters were children. The next time it happens -- and it will -- pretend that you are Switzerland and remain neutral.

Read more in: Family & Parenting | Etiquette & Ethics