Proud Graduate Seeks Suitable Second Home for Her Cap and Gown

DEAR ABBY: I'm in the process of downsizing. I have two black graduation gowns and caps in excellent condition. I wore them proudly as an adult college student not long ago, and hate the thought of them being thrown in a landfill or used as Halloween costumes.

There must be schools where some students have a financial hardship and can't afford to buy their graduation gowns. However, I don't know of any organizations in my area that have a gown reuse program. Perhaps your loyal readers will have ideas? -- DARLENE IN NEW YORK

DEAR DARLENE: I'm sure they will. But in the meantime, may I offer a couple of suggestions? Contact the administration at the high schools or community colleges in your area and ask if they could use the gowns. Or contact a local community theater group and volunteer to donate them to their costume department.

Read more in: Money | Work & School