Wife Says Stoppage Time Has Run Out for Soccer Enthusiast

DEAR ABBY: My husband, an avid soccer player, injured himself twice last year, which left him unable to work for months at a time. He refuses to hang up his cleats because he says it's his "one true passion." I think he's being selfish because his soccer injuries have caused a financial, emotional and physical strain on our family.

I can't be the only wife/mom who doesn't want the additional risk. Any advice on how to get through to him? -- SPORTS WIFE IN CLEVELAND

DEAR SPORTS WIFE: I don't know how old your husband is, but two serious injuries in one year may be a hint from Father Time that his reflexes aren't as acute as they once were, and he should channel his passion in another direction. (Coaching, perhaps?)

Assuming you have insurance, contact your agent and ask if there is additional coverage your husband can take out in case he is seriously injured again. Of course, it won't guarantee that he won't hurt himself, but it might give you some peace of mind in case he does.

Read more in: Health & Safety | Marriage & Divorce | Money