Wife's Affair Causes Serious Rift With Daughter

DEAR ABBY: I have been married for 30 years. A couple of months ago, my 26-year-old daughter discovered that my wife, her mother, has been having an affair for the past four years. It has been very traumatic for all of us. My wife and I are working it out and attending counseling.

My wife and daughter used to be close, but ever since the discovery, my daughter has not spoken to her mom. She says she needs time and doesn't want me "pressuring" her.

My daughter will be in her best friend's wedding in the fall, and I received an invitation addressed only to me (with an option for a guest). My wife cried for an hour. I told my daughter I didn't want to attend without my wife, but she doesn't want her mother there. Where do my loyalties lie? -- BROKENHEARTED IN PENNSYLVANIA

DEAR BROKENHEARTED: Your daughter has had time to make peace with her mother. If her mother has reached out to her and has been rejected, it appears your daughter is unwilling. You can't fix that. If you are really working things out with your wife, your loyalties should lie with her. Why the wedding invitation you received wasn't addressed to Mr. and Mrs. is beyond me. But if your daughter inserted herself into her friend's invitation process, it shouldn't have been allowed.

Read more in: Marriage & Divorce | Family & Parenting