Invitation To Sex Toy Party Prompts Awkward Questions

DEAR ABBY: Recently a friend invited me to a sex toy party. The saleswoman hosting the event is a distant acquaintance.

What is the most polite way to ask her if she has informed her family of her profession? Is it OK to attend if she hasn't told her relatives she sells sex products? If I refuse her invitation, would it be polite to enclose an order for some of her products? I prefer to buy from a reputable saleswoman rather than some anonymous website. -- AWKWARD IN ILLINOIS

DEAR AWKWARD: I don't think it would be appropriate to ask your hostess whether she has informed her family about her career, although I suspect she has made them aware of it. And if you prefer to decline the invitation, I'm sure enclosing an order for her products would be fine with her -- and possibly the start of an ongoing business relationship.

Read more in: Etiquette & Ethics