Girl's Embarrassment Is Signal It's Time for a Shaving Lesson

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I are having a disagreement about one of our daughters (we have three). Our 8-year-old is very hairy. It is noticeable, and she doesn't like wearing shorts, skirts or dresses because of it. Her classmates tease her about it.

I want to teach her how to shave her legs or show her how to use hair remover. Her father is angry that I want to "do this" to his little girl.

I was a hairy child as well, and I was teased about my hairy legs and my unibrow, which my parents wouldn't let me shave or pluck. I remember how painful it was, how upset it made me and how different I felt from my classmates because of it. I told myself as a child that when I grew up, I'd never let my daughter go through the same torment. I still feel that way.

Should we wait a few more years, or should I buy the products I need and teach her what she'll be doing for the rest of her life? -- HAIRY SITUATION IN ARIZONA

DEAR H.S.: Your husband may mean well, but he may not realize what being the object of ridicule can do to a little girl's self-esteem. You're that child's mother, and you know what to do -- so do it. Sometimes girls have to stick together, and this is one of them.

Read more in: Family & Parenting