Uneasy Woman Bats Away Compliments At Work

DEAR ABBY: I started a new job that requires me to deal with the public. I am now encountering an unexpected issue I didn't know I'd have with myself. It's receiving compliments.

On more than one occasion, men have told me I'm "beautiful." Instead of handling it gracefully, it makes me defensive and I seem rude without meaning to be that way. Comments of this nature make me extremely uncomfortable.

I've never had strangers tell me things like this before. My co-workers think I'm crazy for not eating it up, but I'm left feeling uneasy for the rest of the day. There has to be a better way of handling this than the way I have been. Any advice? -- DEFENSIVE IN ARKANSAS

DEAR DEFENSIVE: Yes. The best way to handle a compliment is to be gracious and accept it. Say thank you and refrain from using it as an excuse to parade your insecurities.

Read more in: Work & School | Etiquette & Ethics