Secret Vaping Could Be Cause Of Drop In Brother's Grades

DEAR ABBY: Six months ago my brother told me he vapes. At first I didn't think much of it. Because I pride myself on how well I keep secrets, I haven't told our parents. But now his grades have started sliding, and I wonder if there's a connection.

He's going into his senior year of high school and his graduation is on the line. If vaping has had an effect on his grades, it might be best for me to tell our parents and figure things out from there. I don't know what the right choice is. What should I do? -- HOLDING A SECRET IN WASHINGTON

DEAR HOLDING: From what I have been reading lately, some teens have begun vaping marijuana, which is known to impair memory. Depending upon what substance your brother has been vaping, it could definitely be why his grades have dropped.

Secrets that can pose a danger shouldn't be kept because they are not harmless. I think your instinct is to share your concerns with your parents, and I concur.

Read more in: Family & Parenting | Health & Safety | Work & School