Husband Treats Wife Like The Poo On His Shoes

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I have been together for 13 years. We live in the country with livestock. I was taught to remove my shoes when I entered my house, especially since I was raised on a farm. My husband wasn't required to do the same as he was growing up.

I have asked him for the last 10 years to kindly take his shoes off when he comes in so he won't track dirt, mud, manure, etc. into the house. He absolutely refuses. I have explained my reasons repeatedly and told him it hurts my feelings and makes me feel disrespected. He still won't do it. Can you please tell me why? Am I being too demanding? -- TIRED OF WALKING ON GRIT AND POOP

DEAR TIRED: I don't think so. Your reasons for wanting his dirty shoes off seem sensible to me. From where I sit, it appears your husband cares little for your feelings, isn't concerned about any extra work he creates and stopped listening to you 10 years ago. You have my sympathy, and I sincerely hope he has some virtues that compensate for his selective deafness.

Read more in: Marriage & Divorce