Dinner Out Ruined By Lad's Overexposure

DEAR ABBY: Tell me what you would have done in this situation. While dining at an expensive restaurant on a rare night out, we were seated directly across from a nice-looking family. As I was eating my meal, I had a nauseating view of their child's butt crease. The boy was about 12 or 14, and I didn't want to embarrass him in a public place, but it put a damper on my enjoyment of the meal.

Would it have been appropriate to approach his mother and quietly tell her? Obviously, the kid didn't know or care that he was exposed. The restaurant was full, so I couldn't request another table. -- LOST MY APPETITE IN MYRTLE BEACH, S.C.

DEAR LOST YOUR APPETITE: The first thing I would have done was resist the urge to walk over and plant a stalk of celery in the great divide. And then, because moving to another table wasn't possible, I would have moved my chair so that the view of the young man's cleavage wouldn't have been "head on."

Read more in: Etiquette & Ethics | Mental Health | Miscellaneous